OptimalPad is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our posts, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A generator is a must-have machine for use during power outages, to operate tools, or for electricity while camping.
Unfortunately, most generators are loud and annoy family and neighbors!
Thankfully, you can make everyone happy, including yourself, by upgrading to one of these ten quiet generators for the home and outdoors.
Not only do these generators keep the peace, but they also combine beneficial features with modern technology, which increases their value even more!
1. WEN 56203i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Generator
- Ultralight body weighs in at a mere 39 pounds for easy transport and storage
- Extremely quiet operation comparable to the sound of a normal conversation according to the US Department of Health and Human Services
- Produces 2000 surge watts and 1700 rated watts of clean power for safe charging of sensitive electronics (phones, tablets, televisions, computers, etc.)
Not only is the WEN 56203i offers 2000 surge watts, but it’s also one of the quietest portable generators on the market running at a hushed 51 decibels at quarter power.
Weighing in at 39 pounds, reviewers say this model is “Super easy to take along camping or for use at home.” Customers state they appreciate the fuel shut off that burns gas inside the carburetor before turning off, which reduces long-term engine problems.
Reviewers highlight how the small one-gallon gas tank averages around ten hours of runtime, which reduces fuel costs and refill aggravation. RVers love using this model as it provides enough power to run small camper air conditioners.
- Quiet operation – 51 decibels
- Lightweight and compact design
- Safe power for even sensitive devices
- Fuel shut-off
- Includes 120V, 12V, and USB ports
View WEN 56203i Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Generator on Amazon
2. HONDA EU2200I Portable Generator Inverter
- This popular model can operate a wide variety of appliances, making it perfect for portable use at home, camping, on the job site, or much more. Reliable Power is now at your fingertips with Honda's...
- So quiet, your neighbors will thank you. The EU2200i operates at 48 to 57 dBA, which is less noise than a normal conversation. This makes it ideal for camping, supplemental RV power and any other...
- Add a second EU2200i for additional power. Two identical models can be paralleled with an optional cable or cord for up to 4400 watts of power, or time-consuming applications.
This Honda 2200 watt is another portable generator that performs like the big boys but weighs only 46 pounds, which makes this a dual-purpose model also fantastic to use while camping.
Customers appreciate the fuel-efficiency with four to eight hours of average run time on one gallon of gas and the quiet 48-57 decibel operation that “Lets me chat with friends without yelling.”
Reviewers all agree that this model performs reliably time after time with enough power to keep appliances, lights, and equipment running for hours.
- 48-57 decibel range
- Eco-Throttle System increases fuel efficiency
- User-friendly operation
- Parallel ready
- Honda GXR120 engine
View HONDA EU2200I Portable Generator Inverter on Amazon
3. YAMAHA EF2000iSv2
- 1600 watt rated AC output, 2000 watt maximum AC output, 13.3/16.7 amps @ 120V
- Super-quiet muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor - 51.5 dBA at 1/4 load
- Smart Throttle varies engine speed based on load - improves fuel economy and reduces noise
For a small, lightweight generator that can pack a punch, this Yamaha EF2000iSv2 delivers on critical features. Running on gas, it offers 2000 watts of max AC output while only creating just over 51 decibels of sound on a quarter load.
Running over ten hours on one tank of gas means you don’t have to worry your power is going to run out. Sound-dulling features allow you to carry on a conversation without the need to raise your voice.
The components that impress reviewers the most are the “Quality steel valve train and camshaft” and the auto-decompression system that improves the pull-start, so “Even my wife can do it!”
- Sound – 51 decibels
- Low-noise muffler and rubber isolation feet
- Weighs 44 pounds, making it highly portable
- Smart-throttle improves fuel efficiency
- Low-oil and low-fuel indicators
View YAMAHA EF2000iSv2 on Amazon
4. DUROMAX XP4850EH Portable Generator
- Your purchase includes One DuroMax XP4850EH 4850 watt Dual Fuel Hybrid generator with Electric Start, One oil funnel, One spark plug wrench, tools set, wheels and handle kit, DC charging cables and...
- Portable Generator dimensions: 24” L x 17" W x 17" H. Product weight: 127 lbs
- Specifications: Noise level – 69 dB. Fuel tank capacity (GASOLINE) – 3.96 gallons. Suggested tank size (PROPANE) – 20 gallons
The DuroMax XP4850EH is a bit louder than other generators at 69 decibels, but the features make it worth every penny. The compact size and built-in handles and wheels make it easy to roll this 127-pound machine into position without strain.
Reviewers rave about the hybrid fuel feature that allows you to run the generator on both gasoline or propane, which is highly convenient. Many users also note that they can “Run air conditioners, refrigerators, and power tools without worry.”
This model can operate at 240 V and 120 V at the same time or can run at full power on the 120 V. Low oil sensor, all-metal build, and GFCI protection outlet are just some of the high-quality features found on this generator.
- Sound – 69 decibels
- Runs on gas or clean-burning propane
- Wheels and handles increase portability
- Rock-solid all-metal build
- 208cc engine handles heavy loads
View DUROMAX XP4850EH Portable Generator on Amazon
5. Westinghouse WH2200iXLT Super Quiet Portable Generator 1800 Rated/2200 Peak Watts
This gas-powered Westinghouse generator weighs in at only 43 pounds but delivers enough power to keep your tools, appliances, or camper running for hours. The economy-mode feature can boost the length of runtime to over 13 hours.
Reviewers point out that this model is one of the quietest running generators at 52 decibels, which means you aren’t going to upset your neighbors with the noise. Users also appreciate the EPA and USFS Compliant rating for low emissions.
Another highlight from reviewers is the low THD (total harmonic distortion), which means “I can now plug in my phone and laptop without worry I’m going to fry them.”
- Lightweight, compact, and quiet – 52 decibels
- Simple to start
- Fuel drain for safe storage
- Indicator lights for low oil, output readiness, and overload
- Safe to run sensitive devices
View Westinghouse WH2200iXLT on Amazon
6. ATIMA AY2000i Inverter Generator 2000 Watts
The Atima AY2000i uses a Yamaha engine to deliver 2000 watts of high-load starting power ideal for running appliances, hairdryers, microwaves, tools, computers, and much more. The power is strong and consistent, without the fluctuations frequent in other generators.
The Atima is one of the quietest portable generators, running between 51.5 and 61.5 decibels depending on load. Reviewers can’t get enough of the design that looks sharp, is easy to transport, and allow people with even weak strength to start it in one pull.
Users also praise the “Long runtime on even a full load with only a 1-gallon gas tank,” so they can finish projects or keep appliances running without constant refills.
- Yahama engine – 56 average decibels
- Great design and color
- LED low oil, electrical overload, and output ready indicators
- Smart-throttle saves fuel
View on Amazon
7. BRIGGS AND STRATTON P2200 PowerSmart Inverter Generator
- Quiet and fuel efficient 111 cc OHV engine produces 2,200 starting watts and 1700 running watts
- USB port allows charging of portable electronics in order to stay connected. Muffler : Super Lo-tone. Start type: Recoil
- Produces less than 3% total harmonic distortion making it safe for laptop computers, TVs and game systems
The Briggs and Stratton P2200 PowerSmart Series generator provides a steady and efficient 1700 running watt power load that is also very quiet, so you can take it hunting or camping without disturbing nature.
Reviewers appreciate the lightweight yet durable design that features an “Awesome integrated H-handle, which makes it a breeze to carry with another person.” But, what users like even more is the 8-hour run time and hushed operation when running a standard quarter load and is like “the sound of an idling new car engine.”
Reviewers state again and again how this generator is a real workhorse that delivers power without problems, even when run for days to handle lower-load lights, electronics, small appliances, and charging batteries.
- Quiet Power Technology – 59 decibels
- H-handle for easy transport
- 1 gallon gas tank
- 120V and 12V outlets, with USB adapter
- Parallel Port ready
View BRIGGS AND STRATTON P2200 PowerSmart Inverter Generator on Amazon
8. A-iPower SUA2000iV 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- Produces 2000 starting watts with 1600 running watts of clean and safe power for sensitive electronics, such as phones, televisions, laptops, and other electronics
- Quiet operation at only 58 decibels
- Light weight at only 46 pounds, providing compact and easy portability
The gas A-iPower SUA2000iV provides 2000 starting watts and 1600 running watts that is safe enough to run TVs, phones, laptops, and tablet but powerful enough to keep many of your home or camper’s critical lights and appliances working.
While all reviewers find the low 58 decibels and portable 46-pound weight the top features, others mention the low idle option that can extend operation time even further.
Reviewers also state, “The affordable price tag of this unit is deceiving as it runs like a champ, but don’t expect it to run an air conditioner or large microwave.”
- Sound – 58 decibels
- Easy-start multi-switch
- USB port, 120V outlet, plus 30A plug
- Safe for sensitive electronics
- Parallel ready
View A-iPower SUA2000iV 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator on Amazon
9. Rainier R2200i Super Quiet Portable Power Station Generator
- 1800 Rated Watts and 2200 Peak Watts; Gasoline Powered; Up to 13 Hours of Run Time; Gasoline Powered; 1.3 Gallon Fuel Tank
- Rainier 79cc OHV 4 Stroke Engine with Easy Access Recoil Start; Features “Eco (Economy) Mode” for Conserving Energy and Maximum Fuel Efficiency
- Super Quiet Operation; Enjoy a Hushed Hum of as Low as 52 dBA While Providing A Stable Power Source for All Your Sensitive Electronics Such as Smartphones, Tablets, Televisions, and Computers (noise...
The Rainier R2200i can output 2200 peak watts with 1800 running watts with its reliable 4-stroke engine performance. The 1.3-gallon gas tank keeps the unit light but can operate up to 13 hours, which is very impressive.
Reviewers mention how lightweight and compact the generator is, which makes it easy to transport and also tuck out of the way during use. Another key bonus is that this unit can run an 11,000 BTU or lower air conditioner so you can stay cool.
One user who took the unit camping found that “The generator ran more quietly than the fans it powered, making for a relaxing and peaceful trip!”
- Sound – 52 decibels
- Eco-mode extends run time
- 120V and 12V outlets, parallel ready
- Overload and low oil alarms
- THD safe for electronics
View Rainier R2200i Super Quiet Portable Power Station Generator on Amazon
10. Champion 4000-Watt DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology
- Advanced Open Frame Inverter Design: 50% quieter and 20% lighter than a traditional Champion 3500-watt generator, plus our Economy Mode feature saves fuel and extends engine life
- Quiet Technology and Extended Run Time: 64 dBA is great for RVs, tailgating, your next project or home backup, with 4000 starting watts and 3500 running watts for up to 17 hours run time on gasoline
- Clean electricity for sensitive electronics: RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets with clean power (less than 3% THD) and 12V DC outlet with dual USB adapter
The rugged framing around this 4000-watt start and 3500-watt running generator doubles as perfect handles so two people can carry the just under 82-pound weight with ease.
Reviewers are delighted with the higher power output that allows more use for heavy-load tools or a house full of appliances when the electric goes out. Taking this generator camping, hunting, RVing, or tailgating provides longer hours of runtime over other similar-size units.
Users also appreciate the USB adapter and battery charging cables that come with the purchase so you can charge up electronic devices or, as one review states, “Saved the trip by charging up a dead car battery!”
- Quiet Technology – 64 decibels
- RV Ready with 120V 30A, two 120V 20A, plus USB adapter
- Low THD safe for electronics
- 17 hour runtime on low load
- Economy mode increases fuel savings
It’s smart to be ready for power emergencies and also be able to enjoy the great outdoors with some comforts of home. By owning a quiet, portable, lightweight generator you can do just that.
When you purchase any of the quietest running generators on this list, you can put away that embarrassingly loud unit that aggravates everyone in earshot and instead enjoy the power you need in peace!
Last update on 2020-09-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API