OptimalPad is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our posts, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Every wonder why you feel so good at the beach, under a waterfall, or walking through the forest?
It may be negative ions.
Negative air ions are found abundantly in nature, especially where water meets the earth.
While there is plenty of debate on the efficacy, studies show that there may be positive benefits to negative ion generators in the home, but also a few drawbacks.
Positive highlights from studies:
- Negative air ionizers (NAIs) reduced respirable and inhalable dust counts by 46%. (Source)
- More than 80% 0.1 or 1 mm particles were removed within 1 hour. (Source)
- Around 95% of respirable particles from indoor air can be removed. (Source)
Drawbacks from studies:
- Ozone was produced by corona discharge of air. (Source)
- A total of 5 out of the 27 ionizers were found to emit ozone. (Source)
Benefits of Negative Air Ionizers
Do you find it difficult to breathe in your own house at times due to poor air quality? If yes, you need to start looking for one of the best negative ion purifiers to improve your home’s air quality. Breathing clean and fresh air is vital for your health. Also, your sleep quality will improve drastically.
However, before you start shopping for a high-quality air purifier, you should know what it is and how it works first.
What is an Air Ionizer?
An air ionizer emits negatively charged ions that effectively attract positively charged particles like mold, dust, viruses, bacteria, and allergens. Once the particles bind, they become too heavy and drop to the floor. You can then get rid of them by vacuuming your house frequently.
How does an Ionizer work?
A negative ion purifier works due to the positive and negative electrical charges that attract each other. Once you turn on your air ionizer, the voltage will be released to the built-in needles, which will create electrons that will be discharged into the air. Then, negatively charged ions are formed once these electrons attach themselves to air molecules.
These negatively charged ions are released into the room where they attract positively charged particles such as pet dander, dust, smoke, pollen, mold, e.t.c., and form larger particles that cannot be inhaled. These particles fall to the floor, and they can be vacuumed later. The result is clean, fresh air.
This article has selected the best negative ion generators for you, making your work easier. We have found the top 7 choices for you, but the most impressive product is the TREKOO Air Purifier. This product will offer you the cleanest air at an affordable price. Also, it has an energy-saving feature and automatic mode that ensures maximum power saving.
We have also reviewed six other negative air ionizers to help you choose the best model to suit your needs.
1. TREKOO Air Purifier
- 【REMOVE TOUGH ODORS】 - This TREKOO ozone generator creates O3 which breaks down odors. Odor eliminator removes any odors for your rooms, hotels, offices, kitchens and cars such as cigarette smoke,...
- 【NEGATIVE ION GENERATOR】 - Air refresher releases Negative Ions to purify and refresh room air up to about 166 square footage. Emitting up to 1 million negative ions per second, this negative ion...
- 【AUTO SENSOR OPERATION】 - Saving your electricity bill. This air purifier has sensing operation. When it senses people or pets in the room, deodorizer generates ozone and negative ion for 2min...
If you are looking for the best negative ion generator, look no more because we have what you are looking for, the TREKOO air purifier. This air purifier is our top pick and will offer you value for money as it combines affordability and high quality. The TREKOO air ionizer is recommended for getting rid of bacteria, mold, smoke, cooking, and pet odors.
This ion generator will freshen the air in seconds as it releases about one million negative ions per second. Although it has a 166 square footage coverage area and is tailored for smaller rooms, it works perfectly on kitchens, offices, and small living spaces. Additionally, this air purifier will increase the percentage of oxygen in your room and improve the air quality as it gets rids of the particulates.
This negative ion machine will offer you optimal usage because of its various modes such as toilet, automatic, room, and sleep. Also, its auto sensor operation will save your electricity bill as it will detect people or pets in the room and switch to sleep mode if there is nobody.
The TREKOO air purifier is lightweight and small in size, making it easy to place or mount. Also, with the built-in Nano-activated carbon filter, this air purifier will serve you for many years.
Most reviewers loved the air purifier’s automatic mode, its quiet nature, and how fast it purifies the air in the room.
Key Features and Benefits:
- Recommended against smoke, pet and cooking odor, mold, and bacteria
- Increases the percentage of oxygen in the air
- An automatic motion detector that will save your electricity bill
- Highly efficient as it releases up to one million negative ions per second
- Features a durable ceramic Ozone plate
- Accepts a wide range of voltage; from 100 to 240v with an output of 12v, making it very safe
- Does not require a filter replacement
- Has a coverage area of 166 square footage
- Weighs 1.3 pounds and dimensions of 6.89 x 6.89 x 2.24 inches
2. Clarifion Negative Ion Generator
- For use in: Bedrooms, Corridors, Bathrooms, Living Rooms, Staircases, and Other Spaces/Rooms.
- Removes Bacteria & Viruses | Reduces Allergens | Relieves Congestion | Chemical Free | Helps reduce Asthma | Cleaner Air
- Eliminates Dust, Smog, Smoke, Allergens, Pet Dander, & Bacteria to help keep air Fresh & Clean | Smart design with LED indication
The Clarifion air negative ion purifier is the ideal choice if you want to purify your room in minutes. You can use it in the closet, bedroom, kitchen, corridors, garages, staircases, literally anywhere you want!
This device will release up to 10 Million pcs/cm^3 of Negative Ion-Output. This means that your room will feel fresh in minutes. It is a low noise device, and you will not even know it is working once you put it on.
The Clarifion negative ion generator has a compact design, and it is easy to install and operate. Once you plug it in and the blue LED light is on, you will know it is working. The amount of power this device consumes is low, so that you will save a lot on electricity bills.
This negative ion cleanser does not produce Ozone and does not require replacements of filters. It is suitable for smaller spaces of about less than 5m^2, but this does not make it inefficient.
Most reviewers gave this item a five-star rating because of its effectiveness and ability to purify the air within a short time and how it helps with morning colds and sneezes. However, some reviewers mentioned that the price is a bit high, and buying one for every room would take some time.
Key Features and Benefits:
- It doesn’t require any type of filters
- Its overall dimensions are 5.91 x 3.98 x 2.95 inches
- It has an overall weight of 4.8 ounces
- It has a voltage rate of 120 volts
- Perfect for bathrooms, living rooms, halls, corridors, and bedrooms
- It can cover up to 150 square feet of space
3. IonPacific Ionbox Negative Ion Generator
Are you looking for a simple portable negative ion purifier? IonPacific Ionbox is a perfect choice. This negative ion generator is compact and small, with six inches wide, four inches tall, and 4.8 pounds. So, if you like traveling and would like to breathe in fresh air during your trip, you can take your IonPacific negative ion generator with you.
This device is very efficient when it comes to purifying the air. It emits up to 20 million negative ions per second and makes the air cleaner within thirty minutes. Although it is small, it can cover large spaces like 5000 square feet and above and works ten times better than most ionic purifiers.
You do not have to worry about back walls and soot because this product is designed with a particular fan to keep your walls clean.
You can use the IonPacific negative ion generator anywhere in the world. So, if you are traveling internationally, you do not have to worry about finding a suitable electrical converter for your device. This is because this item has a built-in dual voltage power, and it can run even below 2 watts.
Key Features and Benefits:
- Removes tobacco smoke and odor, allergens, pollen, airborne bacteria, pet odors, harmful dust, pet dander
- The coverage area of 500 square feet
- Releases up to 20 million negative ions per second
- Operates on an automatic mode
- Weighs 4.8 ounces
- Its dimensions are 6.1 x 4.4 x 2 inches
- Features a USB port, dual voltage, and ultra-low energy consumption
- Can be used in the kitchen, bedroom, office, living room, e.t.c
- Improves user’s sense of well-being
- Increases alertness and physical performance of people
- Improves sleep quality
4. HAPHID Pluggable Air Purifier
- This negative ion generator with highest output - up to 32 million negative ions/sec, filterless mobile ionizer air purifier clean : Pollutants,Odors,Pets Smell Etc.
- Efficient Purification: Millions of negative ions can effectively clean the indoor polluted air and harmful substances, such as secondhand smoke etc.
- Economical: filter-free air purifier. Never worry about whether your air purifier filter is almost exhausted or the trouble of buying and replacing expensive air filters. The ion-box's filter-free...
The HAPHID is another efficient negative ion cleanser you should consider. This air purifier has a very high output in terms of negative ions. It emits up to 32 million negative ions per second. This will ensure that your room smells fresh in less than 30 minutes. This negative ion generator eliminates allergen, pollutants, odors, and mold.
If you want a budget-friendly air ionizer, this product is for you as it will offer you years of seamless service, and you will not have to worry about replacing the filters. It is also easy to maintain and clean, and it will not affect you in any way.
This item will give you a goodnight’s sleep because it is silent and does not produce electromagnetic radiation. It is also simple to install and use, and once you plug it in, it will start purifying the air automatically.
Key Features and Benefits:
- Can be used in the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, office, e.t.c
- Has a voltage of 100-200v and 2w of power
- Its dimensions are 60x100x45MM
- Purifies second-hand smoke
- The negative ions relieve fatigue
- Improves air quality
- Has a one-year warranty
5. Holmes Air Ionize
- REMOVES UP TO 99 percent OF AIRBORNE PARTICLES: The Holmes Desktop HEPA-Type Air Purifier with Optional Ionizer captures particles as small as 2 microns from air passing through the HEPA-Type filter,...
- INCLUDES IONIZER: This Holmes air purifier features an optional air ionizer that helps to bind negative ions to airborne smoke, dust, and pollen to form larger particles that are more easily captured,...
- 70 CADR: Air purifier provides a 70 CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate)
Finding a budget-friendly air ionizer is not easy. That is why we recommend the Holmes Desktop air purifier because of its capabilities and affordability. This negative ion generator removes up to 99% of airborne particles and allergens like pollen, pet dander, smoke, mold, and dust, leaving the air fresh and clean.
This negative ion purifier features an optional air ionizer that binds negative ions to particulates, thus, cleaning the air within minutes. It also features 3-speed settings that keep the air clean and pure. Its coverage area is 109 sq. ft. and provides a 70CADR delivery rate.
Key Features and Benefits:
- Dual-position slim design that makes it perfect for table and desktop use
- The 3-speed setting for maximum purification
- Dimensions; 14.6 x 7.2 x 11.3 inches
- Weight; 5.84 pounds
- Optional ionizer to capture dust particles and allergens easily
- Eliminates odors from pets, tobacco, cooking, garbage, e.t.c
- Ideal for allergy sufferers
6. HoMedics Air Purifier
- Breathe Easier: 360-degree HEPA-type filtration removes up to 99% of airborne allergens as small as 0.3 microns; built-in carbon filter reduces odor and VOCs; prefilter captures large particles
- Complete Clean: UV-C technology and HEPA-type filtration kill and capture 99.9% of bacteria, virus, mold, and fungus*; perfect for small bedrooms and home offices up to 170 sq. ft.
- Adjustable Settings: The built-in timer is conveniently spaced between 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours; choose from 3 speed settings to clean the air as quickly as you want
HoMedics is another high-quality negative ion cleanser you should consider. If you are suffering from stuffy air every day, this air purifier will clean your room’s air in minutes. With its 360-degree HEPA-Type filtration, up to 99.9% particles and airborne allergens will be removed from the air.
This air purifier has a built-in carbon filter and prefilter that reduces odor and VOCs and captures large particles. Besides, its UV-C Technology kills harmful bacteria and viruses, and it gets rid of pet dander, dust, pollen, and smoke safely and efficiently.
You will never experience over-heating with this device because it has an automatic shut-off feature. Also, its 3-speed capability and a coverage area of 170 sq. ft. / 15.7 sqm will ensure that you breathe clean air at all times.
Key Features and Benefits:
- Features a HEPA-Type filtration for maximum purification
- UV-C Tech that kills harmful bacteria and viruses
- Includes glowing nightlight and essential oil pads
- Recommended for dust, mold spores, pet dander
- Suitable for small room
- Easy to install and operate and its auto-timer allows you to change and set it whenever you want
- The coverage area of 170 sq. ft.
- Dimensions; 18.9 x 10.4 x 10.1 inches
- Weight; 8.38 pounds
7. Air Genie Revolutionary Plugin Air Freshener
If you are an environment enthusiast, the Air Genie negative ion cleanser is for you. This product is eco-friendly and will trap small harmful dust particles without making any noise. It is suitable for your home and office and will trap odors from pets and smoke efficiently.
Air genie air purifier is portable and user-friendly, and its sleek modern design with a blue Led lets you know it is on. With this device, you will no longer put your health at risk because it will clear all airborne bacteria, allergens, pollutants, smoke, and dust from the air, making breathing easy for you.
If you want to try out the gadget, you will get a 100%money back guarantee within 60 days. With such an offer, why don’t you try it out now?
Key Features and Benefits:
- Eco-friendly design and materials that is safe for the environment
- Modernized design for maximum style points
- Lasts up to 5 years
- The overall dimensions are 6″ x 4″ x 2″
- Easily removes dust and other air pollutants
- It can cover up to 350 square feet of space
Negative Ion Generators & Air Ionizers Comparison Table
|Product name||Coverage area||Voltage||Dimensions||Weight||Settings|
|TREKOO Air Purifier||166 square feet||100-240 volts||6.89 x 6.89 x 2.24||1.3 pounds||Auto sensor settings|
|Clarifion Negative Ion Generator||150 square feet||120 volts||5.91 x 3.98 x 2.95||4.8 ounces||None|
|IonPacific Ionbox Negative Ion Generator||500 square feet||110-220 volts||6.1 x 4.4 x 2||4.8 ounces||None|
|HAPHID Pluggable Air Purifier||1000 square feet||100-240 volts||3.35 x 2.17 x 1.97||8 ounces||None|
|Holmes Air Ionize||109 square feet||115 volts||14.6 x 7.2 x 11.3||5.84 pounds||3 speed settings|
|HoMedics Air Purifier||170 square feet||120 volts||18.9 x 10.4 x 10.1||8.38 pounds||Speed, ionizer, light, and mode settings|
|Air Genie Revolutionary Plugin Air Freshener||350 square feet||110 AC||6″ x 4″ x 2″||4.8 ounces||None|
We hope that you find this information helpful during your search for the best negative ion generator for your home. To find the best air ionizer, always consider the design, noise level, price, coverage area, and overall product features.
At this point, you have all the information you need to select the best negative air purifier and enjoy fresh air in your home every day.
Negative Ion Generators & Air Ionizers FAQs
Do I need an ion generator or an air ionizer for my home?
If dust frequently gets inside your house or you suffer some sort of airborne allergies. It is highly advised that you should get an ion generator, air ionizer, or an air purifier.
Should I get an ion generator or an air ionizer?
That would depend on your personal preference. These two devices work similarly to the point that they’re almost the same, so it’s okay to get either.
Is it possible to check the quality of the product without buying it first?
You can check out the reviews section on Amazon. Reviewers tend to share their experience with the product and that can help you choose the one for you.
Last update on 2020-09-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API