OptimalPad is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our posts, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You must take a proactive approach in ensuring the security of the valuables you keep at home. One of the best ways of doing that is by investing in a home safe.
Home safes are compact, sturdy units that keep invaluable items, such as important documents, heirlooms, jewelry, and guns safe from unauthorized people, and even disasters such as fires and floods. However, home safes are not built equal, as some are simply better than others.
With there being numerous home safe brands on the market today, identifying the most secure home safe that suits your needs can be challenging. Fortunately, we have done the legwork for you. We compared different products to bring you this list of 10 of the best home safes on the market today.
Are you in a hurry? If so, our top pick is the First Alert 2087. Its large storage capacity, next-level security features make it one of the best and most secure home safes out there today. But that is not the only reason why it is our top pick. It costs much less than other safes of its caliber.
Best Home Safes
You cannot go wrong with either one of the following small safes. Nonetheless, your specific needs and budget is what will ultimately determine your choice.
1. First Alert 2087F Waterproof and Fire-Resistant Bolt-Down Combination Safe
- Ready-Seal safe protects valuables from fire, water, and theft even when bolted down
- 0.94-cubic foot capacity offers plenty of storage space for files, electronics, and more
- Fire-resistant design withstands temperatures of up to 1700 degrees F for up to 1 hour
First Alert has been manufacturing home security products for well over half a century now, meaning that they know a thing or two about quality. The First Alert 2087F is proof of that.
First off, with a 0.94 cubic feet storage capacity, this safe has plenty of space for your valuables, such as firearms, jewelry, electronics, documents, and money. It also features an adjustable inner shelf for better organization.
Additionally, the door’s inside features a pocket where you can store smaller items. There is a secret storage compartment on the exterior, as well.
Then, it utilizes Ready-Seal Technology that allows it to be fire, water, and theft-resistant. So, how effective is this technology?
The First Alert 2087 home safe can withstand temperatures of up to 1700F, making it one of the best fireproof safes out there. It remains waterproof even when fully immersed under water. It has four live-locking door bolts, as well as pry-proof hinges that are concealed to keep burglars out.
This unit features a combination lock, meaning that you will use a code to gain entry. The manufacturer provides you with two override keys in case you forget your code.
•Water and fireproof
•Some people might not like its design
2. SentrySafe SFW123GDC Fireproof Safe and Waterproof Safe
- Fireproof safe is UL Classified to endure 1 hour at 1700°F and keep interior temperatures safe for irreplaceable documents, valuables, DVDs, and USBs; ETL Verified to withstand a 15 foot fall during...
- Waterproof safe is ETL Verified for 24 hours of protection in water up to 8 inches deep offering peace of mind in the event of a flood
- Set your own digital combination fire safe with secondary locking key for strong security; digital combination safe features four live-locking bolts, steel construction, pry-resistant hinge bar,...
If you are looking for the best fireproof safe, the SentrySafe SFW123GDC might just be it. Tests done by the Underwriter Laboratories reveal that this unit can endure 1 hour of fire and heat at temperatures of up to 1700F.
This SentrySafe also has an ETL verification, whose tests reveal that it can remain waterproof for up to 24 hours, in addition to being able to withstand falls of up to 15 feet.
This unit uses a digital combination lock to secure your stuff. Additionally, it also features a key lock in case you want to restrict access to those that already have your code. You can change the code as you please.
The SFW123GDC’s features an extremely sturdy build to prevent forced entry. It is made from steel, has a pry-proof hinge bar, four live-locking bolts, and a bold-down kit to secure it to the floor.
The 1.23 cubic feet of space should be sufficient for your valuables.
•The handle is plastic
View SentrySafe SFW123GDC Fireproof Safe and Waterproof Safe on Amazon
3. Verifi Smart.Safe. S4000
Firearm storage can be tricky. You want your guns somewhere you can access easily, yet they must be unreachable to other people.
The Verifi S4000 Biometric Gun Safe solves that problem, as it one of the most secure home safes on the market today, yet allowing you easy access.
It features an FBI-certified fingerprint sensor that can recognize up to 40 fingerprints for easy access. You can add and remove those fingerprints as you please. This allows you to edit user privileges as you please.
The unit locks automatically once you shut the door while alerting you in case you forget to close it. Moreover, it notifies you if someone else attempted to access it.
For extra security, you can choose to use the backup key.
•FBI-certified fingerprint sensor
•Sends tamper alerts
•Not waterproof or fireproof
View Verifi Smart.Safe. S4000 on Amazon
4. AmazonBasics Home Keypad Safe
- 1.52-cubic-foot home safe for storing important documents, jewelry, and other valuables
- Programmable electronic keypad ensures secure, easy operation; back-up key for emergency use
- Heavy-duty carbon-steel construction (8-gauge steel door and 14-gauge steel body); 2 live-door bolts and pry-resistant concealed hinges for superior security
This unit by AmazonBasics is one of the best small safes you can get today. It features a rugged build, with the body being made from 14-gauge steel and 8-gauge steel for the door. It also has two live-door bolts, as well as concealed pry-proof hinges to deter forced entry.
For access, the safe comes with a programmable keypad, meaning it allows you to change the entry code as needed. It also comes with a backup key to allow you to access the safe in case you forget your code.
Its 1.52 cubic feet of storage capacity allows you sufficient space for storing your cash, jewelry, documents, and even a handgun.
However, with a weight of only 37 pounds, the AmazonBasics Home Keypad Safe is too light for our liking, as it means that someone carry it without a lot of hassle. Fortunately, it comes with several mounting holes to allow you to secure it to a wall or floor.
•Concealed pry-proof hinges
•Not water or fireproof
View AmazonBasics Home Keypad Safe on Amazon
5. Viking Security Safe VS-25BL Biometric Safe Fingerprint Safe
- HIGHTLY SECURE 10” x 14” x 10” BIOMETRIC FINGERPRINT SAFE - Unlocks Fast by Registered Fingerprint or PIN Code.
- FAST ACCESS PERSONAL SAFE FOR HOME & OFFICE DEFENCE AND PROTECTION – Upgraded 500 DPI Optical Sensor, Motorized 20mm deadbolt locking mechanism with 2 pry-resistant insertion slots, 5mm door,...
- EASY TO SET UP & SIMPLE TO USE - Scan & Save up to 32 Fingerprints for Multiple People or 1 PIN Code, All Carpeted interior with Build in LED Light, 1 FULLY ADJUSTABLE shelf to organize your handguns,...
The VS-25BL by Viking Security is an undeniable contender in the best small safes category. It provides you with not only exceptional security, but also fast access in case of an emergency
For starters, this unit’s housing is made from durable steel with a scratch-resistant finish. It comes with a laser-cut door, a motorized deadbolt, and two pry-proof locking bars to ensure that someone cannot gain access using forced entry.
To access the safe, you can use either your code or fingerprint. The keypad is programmable, meaning that you can change the access code as you please, while the 500 DPI Optical Fingerprint Sensor allows you to store up to 32 different fingerprints.
What’s more, if you cannot access the safe using these options for some reason, it comes with a backup key that you can use on a hidden keyhole to open the unit.
It features a fully carpeted interior with adjustable storage shelves and built-in LED lights. It also comes with holes to allow you to mount the safe to a wall or floor.
Its storage capacity is 0.63 cubic feet.
•Multiple access points
•Keypad does not have backlight
View Viking Security Safe VS-25BL Biometric Safe Fingerprint Safe on Amazon
6. SentrySafe 1200 Fireproof Box with Key Lock, 0.18 Cubic Feet
- Fireproof box is UL Classified to endure 1/2 hour at 1550°F to protect irreplaceable documents and valuables from fire
- Fire safe box is ETL Verified to protect CDs, DVDs, and USBs from fire damage
- Fireproof lock box features a flat key lock to prevent the lid from opening in the event of a fire; includes two keys
If you are looking for the ideal small safe for documents and storage devices, such as flash disks and CDs, this unit by SentrySafe is worth considering.
With only 0.18 cubic feet of space, you will not be storing large items in this safe. However, it will ensure that your valuables remain intact in case of a fire, as it can withstand temperatures of up to 1550F for about half an hour.
It comes with a simple lock that you open with keys for access.
This unit is not designed to be burglarproof. Instead, to keep your items safe during an emergency. It also features an ergonomic handle for portability.
View SentrySafe 1200 Fireproof Box with Key Lock, 0.18 Cubic Feet on Amazon
7. Steelwater Gun Safes AMSWS-610C
- 2 Hour Fire Rated At 1850°F (1010°C) (2 ) 1” Chrome Plated Active Locking Bolts
- Exterior Dimensions (HxWxD): 22 1/4" x 18 1/4" x 18 3/8" - Interior Dimensions (HxWxD):14 1/2″ x 12 1/2″ x 12 1/2 ” (does not include tray)--Exterior Tray Dimensions (HxWxD): 2 1/8" x 12 1/2" x...
- PLEASE READ BEFORE PURCHASING: Undeliverable to New York with zip codes beginning in (100-104) & (110-119), some remote areas such as islands, areas accessible only by toll bridge or ferry service,...
Even though the AMSWS-610C is one of the most expensive safes on this list, it is arguably the most secure home safe on this list.
It features a heavy-duty build consisting of thick steel and chrome-plated locking bolts. While its 1.45 cubic feet capacity is quite spacious, its weight of 195 pounds simply does not correspond to that space. This gives you an indication of how dense this unit is.
Its fire-resistance capabilities are also second to none, as the AMSWS-610C can withstand temperatures of up to 1850F for two hours.
The safe comes with a combination lock. However, you can ask the manufacturer to change it to a digital lock if the latter suits you better. Nonetheless, the digital lock requires batteries to operate while the combination lock does not. Therefore, keep that in mind when making your choice.
•Heavy-duty double-layer steel construction
View Steelwater Gun Safes AMSWS-610C on Amazon
8. BARSKA AX11556 Biometric Safe
- Secure Storage: Our safes comes with a 120 fingerprint biometric module that is easy to program.
- The Optional Silent Mode: The safe features a silent mode that enables stealthy home defense.Hydraulic-assisted top opening door
- Solid Construction: This safe is built with durable steel, tamper-resistant edges, and 2 built-in pry-resistant steel deadbolts.
This unit by Barska is a top-opening safe that is perfect for storing handguns. Its 0.23 cubic feet of space is enough for two handguns and a couple of magazines.
Additionally, its small dimensions allow it to fit in a large drawer, closet, or on a nightstand.
The Barska AX11556 features a solid build consisting of durable steel, two built-in pry-proof steel deadbolts, and tamper-resistant edges, which makes it essentially burglarproof. It also comes with pre-drilled mounting holes to allow you to secure the safe to a surface.
This home safe features a biometric fingerprint scanner for access. This scanner can store up to 30 different sets of fingerprints. It is also programmable, thus allowing you to add or remove fingerprints as needed.
In case you cannot access the unit using your fingerprint, it comes with a backup key for manual access. Additionally, it alerts you when you leave the door open for more than three minutes.
•Top-opening to allow for storage in draws
•Backup key for manual access
•The fingerprint scanner can get faulty after multiple uses
View BARSKA AX11556 Biometric Safe on Amazon
9. Book Safe with Key Lock
- Not only is the lowest price, but our products are made of high-quality paper, not cheap plastic models
- Open book to reveal a secret storage compartment .Can keep Cash, Coins ,cards and other things inside Perfect for home, school,office, travel, Rv's and boats .Home Safe but Kids will Also Love it!
- the fake book looks like a real book and is easily fused with other books on the shelf, Contains a metal safe with key
If you are looking for an affordable safe that you can hide in plain sight, then this Book Safe by HengSheng is what you are looking for.
As its name suggests, this safe resembles a book. It typically comes in the form of a hollowed-out dictionary with a key lock. While the outside is made out of real paper, the inside is a secure metal safe. It has sufficient space to store a handgun, some extra clips, and some cash.
As such, this unit is perfect for storing what you might need during an emergency.
•Not safe enough for valuables such as jewelry
View Book Safe with Key Lock on Amazon
10. Honeywell 5705 Curved Top Security Safe
- STEEL SECURITY SAFES - The Honeywell Steel Security Safe product line provides safety and security for small items like your passport, money, wallet, jewelry, or prescription drugs. These are great...
- FEATURES - This Honeywell Digital Security Safe offers personalized protection with its electronic digital lock entry, which features a programmable 3-8 digit pass code. This unique safe features a...
- QUALITY MADE – As a Honeywell brand licensee, we have a responsibility to conduct ourselves with the highest levels of integrity in everything we do. This helps us sustain the credibility of the...
Honeywell is renowned for making high-quality products, and the Honeywell 5705-curved top security safe is no different.
It features a solid steel build with steel bolts, concealed hinges, and recessed doors to deter unauthorized access. For access, this unit has an electronic lock that you can program.
The modest 0.74 cubic feet of space that the Honeywell 5705 safe has should be sufficient to hold more than a few valuables. What we particularly love about this unit is its 7-year warranty.
•Manual override keys
•Not fire or waterproof
View Honeywell 5705 Curved Top Security Safe on Amazon
Home safes allow safe storage for items that you cannot afford to lose, or would not want to be in the hands of an unauthorized individual. These include things such as jewelry, important documents, work material, or handguns.
As mentioned, home safes vary significantly in effectiveness and practicality. In this review of the best home safes, we have tried to include all the different types of home safes on the market today. Hopefully, you are one step closer to finding one that suits you best.
Last update on 2020-09-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API